Manufacturing garments, using them and disposing of them has many impacts on the environment. Us humans have become more and more obsessed with fashion. Which has led to clothing being mass produced, resulting in fast fashion, which hones in bringing the newest trends from the runway on to the high street at the quickest time. At Clothing Manufacturers UK, we endeavour to always try to source sustainable fabrics to supply to our clients, sourcing from the UK and Europe.
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS THAT OCCUR DURING THE SUPPLY CHAIN:
- High volumes of water that is used when growing cotton
- The use of oil in synthetics
- Fertilisers/ pesticides usage when growing cotton
Fabric and clothing manufacturing:
- Water and energy usage in textile processes
- The use of chemicals when making fabrics
- Resource waste
Distribution and retail:
- Emissions and waste in transport
- Chemical detergents
- Energy and water use: washing, drying and ironing
- Textile going to landfill
WHAT YOU CAN TO DO TO MAKE YOUR BRAND MORE SUSTAINABLE?
1. Manufacture in the UK - minimises your carbon footprint, as there's no need to ship the garments from abroad.
2. Use sustainable fabrics - such as recycled fibres, organic fabrics, plant based fabrics etc.
3. Use eco friendly packaging, minimise the amount of packaging that is used.
4. Using fabrics that have natural dyes.
5. Make/use yarns from recycled clothing.