It may look easy at the first time but we can assure you that it's not. Starting your own clothing brand is a huge step and you have to have in mind some aspects of the business if you want your brand to grow and not give up halfway. The most important thing is to have a well-defined structure of what needs to be done, how it should be done, and when to do it. With this in mind we created a list of the 5 most important steps to create a clothing brand:
1. Create a business plan. You will need a financial plan, management accounting. You will have to know the costs of each process and of each material that you will use. You will need to investigate the market and the target, based on that you can start creating the marketing strategy. And the most important part, the heart of your brand: What will have your clothing that other brands don't have, try to find a value or a detail that differentiates your brand from the rest.
Be realistic about money. You have to have in mind how much money will the first clothing line will cost. Do you have the necessary money? How can youcreate a clothing brand with little investment?
2. The name. When you have to choose a naming make sure that you can register it as a brand officially but also, choose a name with which you feel comfortable and that will be appealing for your target.
3. The design. Ask for opinions, learn from experts, and design your first collection of clothes. Don't forget to add that special aspect of your brand that will make you unique and have in mind the fabrics, materials, manufacturers, or logistics, these are aspects that must be taken into account before starting. Once you have everything, you can go into detail using the terminology of the sector to be able to communicate with the manufacturer.
4. Online or Offline? Okay. You already have your clothing brand, line and you know your products. Now is the time to decide if you are going to have a traditional store at street level or an online shop or maybe both. This will depend on your budget and your target. With a physical stores comes a lot of investments and bills to pay, rent, electricity, furniture, employees, etc. With an online shop you will have to pay the web domain and maybe a web designer, so this last option it's a much cheaper option. Also have in mind your target, if it's ayoung generation they probably will be surfing the internet in search of new brands but if your brand is for older generations maybe you should consider having a physical store.
5. Marketing is your best friend. Once your business starts rolling, you will have to attract more customers to increase your sales. And, for that, you can choose different means. Traditional advertising such as press, TV, fliers, etc. Online Advertising with the help of adsence, google... Or advertising on social media, you even can reach out to influencers that alignes with your brand to try your clothes and advertise it.